Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Gotta Be a Do-Right Man






















The new "ball & chain" making sure I play all the right records at the wedding party


Now that I'm a married man friends and strangers feel obliged to 1) ask me if my life is different now that I'm married; and 2) offer advice about surviving and prospering in married life.

So far, the answer to the first one is, "not yet" as we lived together for 2+ years before tying the knot. For the second bit of unsolicited info, I'm happy to receive suggestions as god knows I could use the help. The best piece of wisdom, received just moments ago was "choose your battles." My coworkers aren't the only ones with pearls of romantic wisdom . . .

Bobby Womack - Woman's Gotta Have It
The Poet of R&B here with his ode to "keepin' your thing together." Not only does this song have one of the baddest basslines in the history of music, but the lyrics are 100% truth.



Average White Band - T.L.C.
This gem from AWB's under-appreciated first album (with this cover and a later pressing called "Put It Where You Want It") sheds some light on how a lady likes to be treated . . . in the bedroom.



Now, if I had put more thought into this before leaving the house with only these two MP3s I woulda showcased something coming from a more respectable source, say a woman. My first thought would be Aretha's "Do Right Woman", but then I remembered that that song was written by two white, southern gentlemen, Dan Penn & Chips Moman. I guess that'll have to do for right now and anyhow it's pretty darn honest & accurate. I can say that because it's one of my wife's favorites.

This classic soul staple is a brilliant song this is because it can be sung by both man or woman and is equally poignant and powerful. Just check the lyrics below to see for yourself. Here's Etta James' version, recording in 1967 but not released until 1993.



Take me to heart
And I'll always love you
And nobody can make me do wrong
Take me for granted
Leaving love unshown
Makes will power weak
And temptation strong

A woman's only human
You should understand
She's not just a plaything
She's flesh and blood
Just like her man

If you want a do right
All days woman
You've gotta be a do right
All night man

Yeah, yeah
They say that it's a man's world
But you can't prove that by me
And as long as we're together baby
Show some respect for me

If you want a do right
All days woman
You've gotta be a do right
All night man

A woman's only human
This you should understand
She's not just a plaything
She's flesh and blood
Just like her man

If you want a do right
All days woman
You've gotta be a do right
All nights man
You've gotta be a do right
All nights man

4 comments:

danny said...

As for how to prosper in married life, I guess I would just say it's the same as prospering in non-married life, but better. When people tell me that marriage is a lot of work I'm always tempted to ask them "Then why are you married?"

Adam said...

I don't know you, but would've crashed your wedding, if only to hear the dj. Congrats. A. Janeiro.

Josh Nice said...

the womack cut has my favorite bassline of all time.

Your working group: said...

inspired post, allen! love it.