Monday, February 23, 2009

Stormy Monday

So, what they tell me is that THIS is what a February in San Francisco is supposed to be like, as opposed to the 70+ degree sun-drenched weekends we'd experienced earlier in 2009. It's been raining off and on for more than a week now. God knows California needs it! But like I mentioned in my previous post, there's something comforting about knowing that your activities are limited to what you can take care of indoors.

I've been meaning to post this tune for awhile and naturally, the timing had to be just right. Here we are on a stormy Monday listening to Latimore's classic rendition of this tune.







Latimore - Stormy Monday
It didn't occur to me until after I wiki-ed the song that I probably first really listened to this song on the Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East album. Latimore's version is such a breath of fresh air and such an unexpected hit tune for this warhorse of Florida Soul music. He takes on this classic without much modern adornment except for the electric piano. But Latimore is clearly comfortable playing the blues as he masterfully covers this oft-covered classic as if he woke up with a bad case of the mondays. My fiance, Jamie, likes to think she's a low-maintenance kinda girl, which I'm thankful to say she is . . . most of the time. Knowing me as she does and my fondness for musical references, particularly cheesy ones, she likes to tease me by saying she's "easy like Sunday morning," to which I usually respond, "you mean easy like Monday morning." Ouch! Burn!

No comments: