Monday, July 21, 2008

Presenting... Mr. Webster Lewis

Now I don't really know if this is modern soul or what, but it really intrigues me. This was the first Webster Lewis album I got, and from the language on the back I had assumed it was his first. As it turned out it is actually his last album and only collaboration with the great Barry White and his Love Unlimited Orchestra. The other albums I have of his definitely have a jazzier feel - one is called Eight for the Eighties (1979) and sounds like slightly funked out eighties jazz (imagine that.) This album has its time and its place and it is definitely... different but I'm guessing there are those of you out there who will enjoy it. As I tell my roommate on an almost daily basis it doesn't have to be burning disco-funk wailers ALL the time. I know its a little bit hard to see on this webpage, but if you look at the upper right hand corner of the album cover, you can see the baton is being handed down to Webster from the sky. Is it Barry White or God? I'll let you the reader decide. From the 1981 album Welcome Aboard:

Webster Lewis - Welcome Aboard

Webster Lewis - Lift Your Voice and Say (United We Can Live in Peace Today)

Webster Lewis - Nightlife in the City

2 comments:

the amBASSador said...

nice. I have 8 for the 80s and its alright, but a bit too smoove for even my tastes. This, however, is great. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for this.

Morgan said...

Got it from Isreal