Friday, May 23, 2008

You (Secular & Religious Versions)


This will be a short little post of one of my all-time favorite disco-funk jams courtesy of Maze and an interesting cover of the same song in a Gospel mode. Maze is one of those groups that doesn't get nearly as much love as they should. They put out an excellent string of albums beginning in the late seventies that completely ignored the disco over-saturation by coming up with their own sound that depends far more on soul and pop than disco. This song, however, moves the dancefloor . . .

Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly - You
I love the way this song builds and the intro is so hypnotic. This is one of the few albums I have doubles of because I love extending the intro and breakdowns.



Gloria Griffin - You
I remember smiling when I saw that this 1978(?) album on Savoy featured among some pretty straight-forward Gospel a cover of a Frankie Beverly song from the previous year. And not just any Maze song, but "You" my favorite jam of theirs. Gloria's version is raw, funky and flips the script to talk about "You" as God as opposed to the object of Frankie's affection.

No comments: