Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Rolling Down Disco Mountain

I'm on a bit of a disco kick today, but after the lengthy K.C. post, I'll keep this one short and to the point. I've been digging this new Glass Candy tour CD which has some songs of theirs as well as other related side-projects and the like. The first song on the CD is this one:



Download: Rolling Down the Hills (Spring Demo)
Glass Candy is yet another band from Portland, OR and they have really tapped into a nice combination of nostalgia and contemporary production and aesthetics. The song's a bit too slow to dance too, but you can't be dancing all of the time. I hope to post more of their stuff here soon.



Download: Rolling Down a Mountainside
The Main Ingredient has been a recent favorite of mine. Did you know that Cuba Gooding Sr. (yes, the Sr. to "Show Me the Money"'s Jr.) was one of the singers? Their sound is different than a lot of vocal groups as they always picked (or had picked for them) off-kilter arrangements and complicated songs that seemed like they almost didn't work. It's that unusual quality that I like so much about their discography. This song was also recorded by Isaac Hayes, though I can't say I'm familiar with his version and it was written by Leon "I Want You" Ware.

Rollin' . . .

No comments: